Fox News presenter Sean Hannity has joined calls for a Republican senate candidate to provide a “satisfactory” explanation to allegations of sexual assault.
Roy Moorehas been accused of sexual assault by five women who said the politician pursued them while they were teenagers.
Mr Moore, who is running in the seat vacated by attorney general Jeff Sessions, has already come under pressure from senior Republicans.
Mr Sessions has told Congress that he has no reason to doubt Mr Moore’s accusers, while Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell has said he should quit the race.
Mr McConnell has even openly floated the possibility of having Mr Sessions run for his old seat against Mr Moore as a write-in candidate. Mr Moore has denied the historic allegations from the early 1980s, saying: “I don’t remember that, or dating any girl without the permission of her mother.”
Fox presenter Mr Hannity originally defended the Alabama senate candidate, suggesting that the women might be lying to scupper next month’s election.
In an interview with the presenter last week, Mr Moore denied allegations by four women, insisting he did not know them and calling the allegations a “political manoeuvre”.
Asked by Mr Hannity if he ever dated teenage girls, he replied: “Not generally, no” before going on to say “I never did so without their mother’s permission”.
On Monday a fifth woman, Brenda Young Nelson, also accused Mr Moore of sexual assault. The senate candidate insisted he did not know Ms Nelson, but at a press conference she showed her 1977 school year book containing Mr Moore’s signature.
On Tuesday night Mr Hannity said the senate candidate had “24 hours.. to come up with a satisfactory explanation”. “Between this interview that I did and the inconsistent answers.
Between him saying ‘I never knew this girl,’ and then that yearbook comes out,” he said.
“You must remove any doubt. If you can’t do this, then Judge Moore needs to get out of this race.”
Mr Hannity’s about turn signals a change from even Mr Moore’s most staunch supporters as a growing number of senior party figures distance themselves from the candidate.
The Republican National Committee has already cut off funding to Mr Moore’s campaign.
President Donald Trump has yet to comment publicly on the topic, but a White House spokesperson has said the Mr Trump believes he should stand down if the allegations are true.
Article Source : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/15/fox-news-presenter-turns-republican-candidate-roy-moore-sexual/