Home / NEWS / Saudi-led coalition air strikes on bus carrying children in Yemen leaves ‘dozens’ dead

Saudi-led coalition air strikes on bus carrying children in Yemen leaves ‘dozens’ dead

A Saudi-led coalition air strike hit a bus carrying children in rebel-held northern Yemen on Thursday, killing and wounding dozens.

The bus had been travelling through a busy market in Dahyan district, northern Saada, at the time of the raid, which Houthi rebels’ Al Masirah TV reported killed 39 and wounded 51, “mostly children”.

“Scores killed, even more injured, most under the age of 10,” Johannes Bruwer, head of delegation for the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen, said in a twitter post.

ICRC said one of the hospitals it supports was treating the wounded. 

“It is high time for these relapsing tragedies to stop in Yemen,” said Robert Mardini, the ICRC’s regional director. “No one should allow putting children in harm’s way and making them pay such an unacceptable price.”

The Houthi rebels control much of northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa. The Dahyan district in hit on Thursday lies close to the border with Saudi Arabia. 

Man stands by a car damaged by a strike near al-Thawra Hospital in Hodeidah on August 2, 2018

Credit:
Reuters

In recent weeks rebels have fired missiles into the neighbouring kingdom, including on Wednesday in an attack which left one dead. 

Colonel Turki al-Malki, a spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, said the attack in Saada targeted the rebels who had fired a missile at the kingdom’s south, killing one person and wounding 11 others.

The coalition said Wednesday’s projectile, fired toward the southwestern Saudi city of Jizan, was intercepted and destroyed but its fragments caused the casualties.

There was no immediate comment from the coalition, which intervened in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognised government to power after it was driven out of the capital Sanaa by Shia rebels.

The coalition, which receives logistical support and funding from the US and UK, has been criticised for its indiscriminate bombing on civilian areas. 

Thursday’s strike was one a relatively high death toll for the war, which has so far claimed the lives of some 10,000 people and described as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. 

Martin Griffiths, the UN special envoy for Yemen, has been pushing to bring the warring parties to restart peace talks. He recently announced plans to invite Yemen’s warring parties to Geneva on Sept. 6 to hold the first round of consultations. 

Article Source : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/09/saudi-led-coalition-air-strikes-bus-carrying-children-yemen/

Check Also

India warns of ‘extremely grave’ crisis as death toll rises to 324 in worst flooding for 100 years

The death toll from major floods in India‘s Kerala state jumped to 324 on Friday, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *